The weather is finally starting to warm up, which means summer vacation season—our favorite time of year—is right around the corner. If you’re looking for some travel inspiration, we tapped our trusted advisors to tell us their top destinations for summer 2019. Also in this edition, we talked to our clients, the talented Carpenter family (they’re on the road a whopping 300 days a year!), who tell us how they combine work and leisure, as well as their favorite classical music spots around the world. And finally, we’re bringing you some of the culinary must-try’s in Cape Town’s amazing food scene.
Erika Reategui and Fernando Gonzalez
Every August the international luxury travel industry gathers in Las Vegas for its glitzy version of the Oscars during Virtuoso Travel Week. This year we all stood a little prouder as our CEO Fernando Gonzalez was named the Virtuoso 2017 Most Innovative Travel Advisor in front of 2,800 industry peers.
F1S president Erika Reategui commented, “Fernando’s vision has always been to do things differently in the travel business — from introducing our WONDERWALL marketing program to hiring from outside of the industry for fresh perspectives. It’s so rewarding to see his colleagues recognize this commitment.”
Other notable awards were given to some of the most outstanding hotels and hospitality professionals in the world. The 2017 Best of the Best winners included:
• Hotel of the Year: Palazzo Seneca, Norcia, Italy
• Best Family Program: The Ritz-Carlton, Naples, Naples, FL
• Best Dining Program: La Terrazza, Hotel Eden Rome, Rome, Italy
• Best Achievement in Design: Six Senses Douro Valley, Lamego, Portugal
• Best Bar: Bar Hemingway, Ritz Paris, Paris, France
• Best Wellness Program: Canyon Ranch, Tucson, AZ
• Best Virtuoso Experience: Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya, Playa del Carmen, Mexico
• Hotelier of the Year: Susanne Hatje, Mandarin Oriental, New York, NY
• Best Virtuoso Newcomer: Four Seasons Hotel New York Downtown, New York, NY
• Sustainable Tourism Leadership: Cavallo Point, The Lodge at Golden Gate, Sausalito, CA
• Best Virtuoso Hotel Ambassador: Kees Hogetoorn, Grand Hotel Amsterdam, an Accor Hotel